Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Vacant Homes across the Valley

After reading the Arizona Republic's article on vacant homes across the valley, I decided to do a little research and came up with some interesting numbers.

All properties Year To Date
Active 57,700
Pending 4,400
Sold 47,300


Vacant properties Year To Date
Active 23,500 40.7%
Pending 2,100 47.8%
Sold 21,700 45.9%

Many of you may be looking at these numbers and wondering why they are higher than what I ususally report. This is a list of all homes: single family, condo, townhome, mobile etc. When I do my monthly reporting I only use Single Family Homes, SFH. That is how I started my study 3 years ago and thus continue to report that way.

When we look at these numbers an interesting figure jumps out at me. Although, 40.7% of the homes listed are vacant; 47.8% of the Pending homes are vacant and 45.9% of the sold homes are vacant. Buyers are choosing vacant homes at a great rate the occupied homes. The stress on the owner of the vacant homes makes that seller more agressive on their price. Price sells in this market. All the experts agree! But, shush! This is a secret.

No comments: