Saturday, September 29, 2007

Us Bikers Need You Hikers, HELP

Yes, believe it or not us bikers need the hikers. You see a mountain trail is always in transition, oh wow just like a real estate market, anyway it is always changing. We had some great rain a little over a week ago. Here in Arizona we get all our rain in oh about 6 different days throughout the year. A week ago on Friday, we got one of those days of rain. It messed up the trails. I ride most of the time here in McDowell Mountain Ranch and my short ride is up Taliesin Trail to Lost Dog and to the saddle over looking the valley. I then come down, except go north through the Quartz Trail and empty out on 105th Street, near the McDowell Mountain Ranch community center. I then have a mile ride on the street to home. It is a great work out and I can do the whole ride in about 45 minutes.
Since the last rain there are some big issues on the trails. Parts of the trail are washed out, big ruts and drop offs on the hills, and a build up of sand in areas. We need the hikers to go through and compact everything with their hike. It is funny to watch how the trail evolves through out each year. Some parts of the trail that go through washes are difficult to see. I know the trail and therefore know where to ride. But I look forward to the hikers recreating a smooth transition in those washes. Some of the hills have big ruts or are very loose. I have been either crashing through or riding on the little ridge next to the ruts. Riding on the ridges is not hard, it just looks real hard. Something that took me a couple of years to start doing, but love now. The hikers will probably need to crush through the loose stuff and re compact it. This may take a while and may not be fully recovered until after the rainy (ha, ha) season coming up. The last fix I hope the hikers can fix is all the built up sand. I almost crashed pretty bad yesterday as my front tire washed out just before hitting a clump of big rocks and dropping down a hill. But I made it without crashing and laughed as I knew it was almost a nasty one.
One thing I tend to do on the trail a lot is laugh. It is usually right after I survived some crazy adventure spot on the trail. You have to enjoy those moments and I do. So, if you are riding with me or hiking along as I pass, if you here me laughing out loud I almost crashed!!!

ENJOY THIS INCREDIBLE WEEKEND!

No comments: