Tuesday, April 15, 2008

THE APPEAL by John Grisham

I just finished reading, The Appeal, by John Grisham and enjoyed it thoroughly. John Grisham is probably my favorite author, although his past couple of books haven't hit home with me. This one was great! Dealing with environmental issues and the election process for our Judicial system.
I have always wondered why I vote on Judges. I read the paper habitually and listen to talk radio. I feel I am more informed than the average Phoenician. But, every time I get to the list of Judges on voting forms I don't know who they are. I use to give them all a thumbs up, unless I read something or heard something bad about them. So there I am, selecting names at the pole and I have to search my memory about the Judges. I know you are suppose to come prepared on who to vote for, but the Judges? Each time I have decided to vote against a Judge, I wonder, "where did I exactly hear that bad news, and was it in the right context?" I don't usually remember. I finally stopped voting for the Judges.
Grisham's book gives a detailed process of how a State Supreme Court Judge position can be bought. In the book the $5-10 million invested to elect a Judge was nothing compared to what that judge saves big business. He was the swing vote and the story it meant Billions to one character.
I highly recommend this book as a great read. Although, one must understand it is Fiction. It really brings questions to mind on how and why some of our systems work. It makes me question if maybe some of these systems need to be updated for "today." I am sure 200 years ago, a majority of the voters knew the Judges or of the Judges. Everything was more condensed back then. Today, I don't believe that is the case.

No comments: